Authorities have identified the elderly couple whose bodies were discovered in a river inside Kruger National Park following a large-scale search operation that gripped the country over the weekend.
The victims, Dina Marais, 73, and Ernst Marais, 71, were residents of Mossel Bay and had reportedly been visiting the park when communication with them suddenly stopped earlier this week.
Police have now launched a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding their deaths, while the couple’s missing vehicle remains a major focus of the case.
Search operation launched after couple failed to return
According to Limpopo police, concern was raised after the couple failed to return to their accommodation as expected, prompting an urgent search effort involving park officials, rangers and aerial support teams.
Police spokesperson Hlulani Mashaba confirmed that the couple had been reported missing after relatives and park staff were unable to contact them.
The couple had reportedly entered Kruger National Park on 17 May and were last seen alive at the Pafuri picnic site on Wednesday morning.
After that sighting, communication reportedly ceased completely.
Bodies discovered by tourists near river area
South African National Parks (SANParks) confirmed that an intensive 24-hour search operation was initiated on Thursday, involving both ground teams and helicopter support.
The search eventually took a tragic turn when tourists reportedly spotted two bodies floating near a river area inside the park on Friday and alerted rangers.
Authorities later confirmed that the bodies belonged to the missing couple.
Officials also searched a property owned by the Marais family in a wildlife estate near Hoedspruit during the operation, but nobody was found there.
Missing vehicle raises further questions
Investigators say the couple’s missing vehicle remains central to the ongoing investigation.
SANParks spokesperson Reynold Thakuli explained that early theories suggested the vehicle may have been swept away or trapped due to severe weather conditions and flooding that affected sections of the northern park region.
However, despite aerial searches and road patrols, the vehicle has still not been located.
“Many roads remained closed due to the weather, and we deployed aerial support to locate the vehicle, but our search yielded no results,” Thakuli said.
The unexplained disappearance of the vehicle has now led authorities to broaden the scope of the investigation, including the possibility of hijacking or other criminal activity.
Minister extends condolences as investigation continues
Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Willie Aucamp expressed condolences to the family following the discovery.
Aucamp confirmed that he had engaged with SANParks leadership to ensure continued cooperation with the South African Police Service during the investigation.
“On behalf of SANParks and the Department, we extend our sincere condolences to the family of the victims during this difficult time,” the minister said.
Authorities have indicated that limited details will be released publicly while investigations remain active.
Safety concerns and weather conditions under scrutiny
The tragedy has once again highlighted the challenges faced by authorities in large wildlife conservation areas, particularly during periods of heavy rainfall and flooding.
Northern sections of Kruger National Park have experienced difficult weather conditions in recent weeks, with several roads and access routes temporarily closed due to flooding risks.
At the same time, the incident is likely to renew broader public debate around tourist safety, emergency response systems and crime risks in remote travel regions.
Experts note that investigations involving missing persons in vast conservation areas are often complex due to difficult terrain, wildlife risks and limited communication infrastructure.
Police appeal for information
Police are urging anyone who may have information relating to the incident or the whereabouts of the missing vehicle to come forward.
Forensic teams continue to process evidence while detectives work to establish the sequence of events leading to the deaths of the couple.
No arrests have been announced at this stage.
Conclusion
The deaths of Dina and Ernst Marais have shocked both the tourism sector and communities in the Western Cape and Limpopo. As investigators continue searching for answers — and for the missing vehicle — many questions remain unanswered about what exactly happened during the couple’s final days inside Kruger National Park.


