The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) has confirmed that convicted killer and rapist Thabo Bester has been transferred from Kgosi Mampuru Correctional Centre in Pretoria to the eBongweni Super Maximum Correctional Facility in KwaZulu-Natal.
The high-security prison, located near Kokstad, is also housing murder-accused businessman Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala, placing two of South Africa’s most high-profile inmates under the same roof.
DCS spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo confirmed the move on Friday, stating that Bester’s transfer formed part of routine offender management processes.
“The Department of Correctional Services confirms the transfer of offender Thabo Bester to eBongweni Super Maximum Correctional Facility,” Nxumalo said.
DCS says transfers guided by security assessments
Nxumalo stressed that inmate transfers are guided by established security risk assessments aimed at maintaining safety, security and stability within correctional facilities and across the broader criminal justice system.
He added that despite the move, Bester would continue to receive care in line with legislation and policy, including full access to legal representation, family communication and court processes.
“All necessary logistical arrangements remain in place to ensure court appearances and legal proceedings proceed without disruption,” Nxumalo said.
Background to Bester’s case
Bester became a national figure following his escape from Mangaung Correctional Facility in May 2022, an incident that exposed serious security failures within the correctional system. He was later rearrested in Tanzania in April 2023 and extradited back to South Africa.
The escape allegedly involved the assistance of Dr Nandipha Magudumana, who has since been locked in a legal battle challenging the lawfulness of her repatriation to South Africa.
During court appearances in December last year, Bester requested access to documents from the Presidency and Crime Intelligence, as well as cellphone records linked to International Relations Minister Ronald Lamola, arguing they were necessary for trial preparation. He has also applied to the Pretoria High Court for state funding to support his legal defence.
Bester and his co-accused, including Magudumana, Senohe Matsoara, Zolile Sekeleni, Teboho Liphoko, Buti Masukela, Tieho Makhotsa, Zanda Moyo and Joel Makhetha, face a raft of charges. These include fraud, corruption, assisting an inmate to escape, violation of a body, arson and defeating the ends of justice.
Their case is scheduled to be heard in the Bloemfontein High Court in March 2026.
‘Cat’ Matlala also held at eBongweni
Matlala, 49, was transferred to eBongweni Correctional Centre in December 2025 as part of heightened security measures for inmates deemed high risk. Authorities have confirmed that the facility is equipped to house dangerous and high-profile prisoners, although further operational details have not been disclosed.
Concerns about Matlala’s detention conditions were raised during his first pre-trial appearance in the Johannesburg High Court this week, where he appeared alongside four co-accused, including his wife, Tsakani Matlala.
His lawyer, Anneline van den Heever, told the court that consulting with her client at eBongweni had become “a nightmare”, significantly hampering trial preparation.
She described conditions at the supermax facility as extremely restrictive, with inmates confined to their cells for 23 hours a day and allowed just one hour of exercise.
“When you eventually consult, he sits behind thick glass where you can barely hear each other, with people around listening,” van den Heever said, alleging that consultations were monitored or recorded.
She further claimed that scheduled consultations were repeatedly blocked, including one that was cancelled following an order from the area commissioner, even after her status as Matlala’s legal representative had been confirmed.
Fair trial concerns raised
Van den Heever argued that the restrictions imposed on Matlala threatened his constitutional right to a fair trial. She indicated that the defence would seek a preferential trial date once outstanding pre-trial issues had been resolved.
Senior state prosecutor Elize Le Roux told the court that the decision to transfer Matlala was taken solely by the Department of Correctional Services and not by the prosecution.
Matlala faces 11 counts of attempted murder, including charges linked to the 2023 shooting of actress and socialite Tebogo Thobejane on the N1 highway near Sandton. He is also accused in other attempted murder cases involving high-profile individuals.
He is standing trial alongside Musa Kekana, Tiego Floyd Mabusela, Tsakani Matlala and Mabusela’s daughter, Nthabiseng Nzama. Nzama faces a charge of money laundering, with the State alleging she facilitated the movement of funds derived from criminal activity.
Multiple cases consolidated
The prosecution has consolidated three major cases against Matlala. These include the attempted murder of taxi owner Joe Sibanyoni in 2022, the shooting of Thobejane in 2023, and an alleged failed hit on DJ Seunkie Mokubung, also known as DJ Vettys, in 2024.
Judge William Karam has postponed the matter to 6 February to allow legal teams to consult on efforts to have Matlala transferred to a correctional facility in Gauteng, closer to the court hearing the case.
Tsakani Matlala and Nzama remain out on bail of R20,000 and R10,000 respectively, with bail conditions extended. Kekana, Mabusela and Matlala remain in custody.


